Pages

24 September 2016

Grab a Coffee and Come Meet Tash..



Today I’d like to introduce you to Natasha Thorley or Tash as I call her.  I’ve known Tash for awhile now, she’s been helping me admin my small Facebook group for a little over a year.  She’s generous in her advice and help to others and she has a passion for crochet.  

She’s the owner and designer of Button Nose Designs and is based in QLD Australia.  I’ve had the pleasure of pattern testing her Ocean of Love Wrap and being the recipient of one of her beautiful shawls. 



Today is a big day as Tash is about to embark on her firstever Cal, a tribute to her much loved Grandma.  

I took the opportunity last night to talk to Tash about her work, her designs, her dreams and goals.



Tash, I know your Grandma was a huge influence on you, tell me about her and how she taught you to crochet?



My grandma was a beautiful lady who had a lot of love for people. She was kind, caring, passionate and had a witty sense of humour. When I was 10 I asked her if she could show me how to twiddle the hook like her. With a whole lot of patience she showed me how to make a granny square. After a few months of practice I finally got the hang of it. I crocheted until I was about 12 then didn't really touch it again until I was 18.


Who are your influences in more recent years?

My biggest influences in my adult life are my daughter and mother. Being able to teach my daughter at the age of 7 and encouraging my mum to take up crochet again after a 15 year break has really influenced me more than ever.

How do you manage time between being a wife and mother, work and crochet?

Time. Well I really don't have much down time so to speak. I work 60hrs a week working at a weighbridge ( I weigh a lot of trucks), I am fortunate to live on premises so I can get my washing and housework done between traffic, but other than that I make weekends as time for my family and try and dedicate a few hours each Sunday to non interrupted crochet. I do wish to have more down time but with a supportive partner I have managed to balance work and home life with my crochet.

You’ve recently started a blog yourself, how do you go about choosing subjects to write about?

When I first started blogging I wasn't really sure what to write. But after a name change of my crochet page, I decided it was about time to start a blog so I could share my patterns I have designed, but also to share my passion for yarn. I have a list of what i want to blog about and that has helped me stay on track. I am also incorporating my family favourite recipes on my blog.

You’re a designer, you have patterns on Ravelry and your blog.  How do you go about the design process?



My first pattern was by chance, the cute owl plastic bag holder. I had already made a plastic bag holder and thought this is too boring. I set out to make something cute, and with a twiddle of my hook the owl was born. When I start to design a pattern, it is usually unintentional, or the fact I can not find a pattern that says pick me! Sometimes my ideas fail and other times they work out.

You’re about to launch your first CAL, a tribute to your Grandma, can you tell us why you chose the design aspects of it?

The design aspects of the CAL really came about once again by twiddling my hook. I sat down one Saturday a few weeks ago and grandma was on my mind. I decided i wanted to make a tribute to her as a thank you for teaching me crochet. I thought about her and how she made an impact in my life, then I started walking down memory lane and thought of all the times I had with her. For the CAL I have a little story that goes along with each part. You will laugh, cry and feel embraced in her love through her story.



Who are your favourite blogs and Instagram accounts to follow?

In the past 2 years i have enjoyed following many artists. There are too many to pick from but my favourites by far are The Patchwork Heart, Attic 24, The Little Bee and Zooty owl.

We all have our favourite yarns and tools of the trade, what are yours?

My favourite yarn I have used is Stylecraft Special in DK and Aran. I also have a love for Bendigo Woollen Mills wool, particularly Milky Way, as it is Australian made. My favourite hooks are the Clover soft touch. I have all sizes from 2mm to 6mm. 4mm and 5mm are mostly used.

What are your long term goals?

My long term goal would have to be, to design more patterns. I want to keep the love of crochet there so I don't pursue design ideas, I let them come to me.




You can find Tash on FacebookInstagramRavelry and on her Blog where she offers her free designs.

Eve's Journey CAL starts September 24 and all information can be found on Ravelry and Button Nose Design Blog


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time out of your day to comment and share your thoughts..