Pages

20 June 2015

Everyone needs a Teddy



Growing up in a reasonably well to do Middle Class family surrounded by Middle Class families it never occurred to me that not all families were the same.  It's a child's perception of the world.

My partner didn't have the kind of upbringing I had. For him there was no going out for a family dinner every Friday night, takeaway fish and chips were a once in a blue moon treat for him. I wont get into the sort of family he had, it's not my place too do that publicly but you get my meaning.

We often discuss the differences in our childhoods and the way we were brought up.  I was horrified awhile back to find out he never EVER had a teddy bear as a child.  Now I know some people just cant afford such luxuries, but to just not have bothered is a different thing.

I can't perceive a life when a teddy wasn't involved.  My original teddy is still intact with his paws coloured in with black texta, my kids still have their teddies and stuffed toys.  I have a teddy that Mum made me when I was in my 30's at the height of her handmade teddy phase, Grizzle Guts, he sits beside the bed.

I'm still trying to comprehend a childhood without a teddy, an entire life without a teddy. Teddy keeps you safe at night, you tell all your secrets to teddy, Teddy is your best friend!

Everyone should have a teddy!!


Earlier this year the crochet coping mechanism had well and truly kicked in.  One Saturday afternoon I got a phone call from Mr Builder, he was at the local hospital.  He'd somehow managed to amputate one third of the middle finger on his left hand with a brand new compound mitre saw!  PANIC!

Panic = crochet = breathe and relax



I'd recently taught myself how to crochet a ball.  On the same site as the ball pattern was a pattern and video tutorial for a teddy.  Everyone needs a teddy!  Mr Builder was going to get his first teddy at the age of 44!

He was sent to  hospital 150km away and I was stuck at home, literally.

There was I on a Sunday morning, with my stress pack consisting of coffee, smokes, laptop, yarn and hooks and the Sharon Ojala video tutorial for how to crochet a teddy  . Sharon was my new best friend! Sharon was going to keep me calm, Sharon was going to teach me how to make a teddy, I would not let Sharon fail!

By Sunday night Sharon had succeeded!  Stumpy was born!


Mr Builder loved Stumpy!  He thought me just a little bit weirder than he normally thinks I am for having crocheted a 44 year old man his first teddy, but loved Stumpy and the reasoning behind him.

Since Stumpy, Sharon and I have continued our relationship, one sided I must admit as she has no idea who I am.  Together we have made numerous teddies, for the Grandson,  a friend of mine who was going to hospital and wanted a special bear to take with her, and for two little girls I know.  With each teddy I get more adventurous, adding bits here, embellishing there.











I even managed to adapt the ball pattern to make a Hungry Caterpillar, again for the grandson.




For anyone wanting to make a teddy or some other sort of amigurumi toy I highly recommend Sharon Ojala and Amigurumi To Go. All of her patterns come with very easy step by step video tutorials which are very thorough. Once you've got the hang of amigurumi crochet the possibilities are endless. 

1 comment:

Thank you for taking time out of your day to comment and share your thoughts..