Pages

22 November 2016

Hello? Crojo? Where did you Go




I've lost my Crojo, you know that desire to crochet? The Crochet Mojo? The insatiable appetite for Crochet?

It's GONE!

Lost!

Can't be Found!

It's not in my hooks, it's not in the yarn stash, it's not in the countless patterns I have.

SOMEONE STOLE IT!


Ok, that's being a wee bit dramatic.  No-one stole it.  I just put it down and cant find it.


It started to disappear with the onset of what was a suspected Supraspinitus tear in my shoulder. Right smack bang nearing the end of the Scheepjes Last Dance on the Beach CAL. That suspected tear wasn't so dramatic but it was a massive swelling of the Supraspinatus tendon, the likes that the radiographers hadn't seen in awhile.  It was accompanied by a mass of calcium build up that had me looking like a lopsided Quasimodo. It hurt.  I have an exceptionally high pain threshold but this wee little tendon had me in tears just doing the simplest things.

For some obscure reason I could knit without pain, It was like making a deal with the devil to be able to crochet.. "Ok devil, you let me finish this wee square for the CAL and I'll basically 'suck it up Princess' for the next few days just to lift my arm halfway to do the housework."

Deals with the Devil never work well and usually end in tears.  Trust me, a cortisone shot through a calcium mass is the price you pay.

Six weeks on and you'd think I'd be bursting to get back to crochet.  Nope. Tried.  Can't. The pain is gone, I can crochet, I've just lost all desire for it.

I have countless crochet WIPS sitting in the yarn cupboard, including my Last Dance on the Beach squares, all done, waiting to be pieced together.  A part done Peacock Tail Bag CAL just wallowing on a shelf.  If anything could entice me back to crochet it was that project because it uses Scheepjes Linen Soft, one of my all time favourite yarns everrrrr.

I've been thinking about why I've lost the crojo, and it stems more from my wanting to be challenged than a physical inability to do it.   It stems from the fact that I know crochet. I've learnt so much and achieved the things that I wanted to teach myself.  Amigrumi, Overlay, Cables, the different stitches, the techniques that I spent hours and hours watching youtube tutorials of, the time spent with hook and yarn struggling to get a concept right.

I love to learn, to teach myself new things and at the moment I have so much I want to learn in regard to knitting.  Brioche, Cables, Lace are just a few things. I'm having fun knitting wee swatches in yarns that I had bought with crochet in mind.  I love the way a yarn will pop tiny colours in knitting that would ordinarily get lost in crochet stitches.

I love to challenge myself.  Crochet just doesn't challenge me at the moment. I know eventually I'll pick up a hook and enjoy it again, but for the moment my Chiaogoo interchangeable circular needles and I are best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time out of your day to comment and share your thoughts..